Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Creativity Book: Exercise 4 - Make Minimum Space

The last exercise for Week 2 in Eric Maisel's The Creativity Book is to revise and rearrange my creative space. I am very lucky to have a quite large room to dedicate to my studio. Following please find pictures of the progress I've made towards rearranging my creative space.

Dr. Maisel sets out very specific requirements for a creative space that would probably annoy me if it weren't for the fact that they're already in line with what I have and want. First, he requires a computer desk, computer, and internet access.

Check, check, check.

Second, he requires a thinking spot separate from the computer space, preferably with a comfy chair beside a table for a lamp, mug, notepad, pen, and current reads.

I am go for comfy chair, but, as you can see, I need to do a little rearranging.

Third, he requires a special bookcase. I liked the way he described how to organize your books: inspiration, subject matter reference, shrine, and professional reference.
So far I've got the subject matter reference and some inspiration. I suspect that as I unpack I'll find some things that should go in the shrine. Not sure what sort of professional reference materials a nascent quilter should have.

Fourth, he requires whatever other space your endeavor requires. Quilting, my primary artistic medium of the moment requires a cutting table, a sewing table, fabric storage, notions storage, and a design wall. I have most of these things already and just needed to unpack them and arrange them properly. I'll keep you posted as that happens.

Click here to return to This is My Heart home page

No comments: