Sunday, March 29, 2009

Diane Ricks at 2009 Glendale Quilt Show


Yesterday at the Glendale Quilt Show I examined the quilt that won First Place for Innovative Quilt and found it was done by Diane Ricks. I took Microwave Dyeing for Cotton and my cousins took Needle Felting with Diane Ricks at IQF Chicago in 2008. In fact, all the non-sparkly hand dyed fabric in my Gwen Marston Liberated Stars is from that dyeing workshop. We even did shibori in the microwave!

Ms. Ricks just happened to be passing by, so I took her picture with her quilt. She was so proud! The quilt is named Ghost Dance. Ms. Ricks described it like so:
The book Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee inspired me to make this series of small quilts joined into a triptych as honor to their memory. It is dye painted, free hand drawn, and screen printed on rusted cotton with free motion quilting featuring images of the fallen warriors in the quilting.
I wonder if she intended the complementary color scheme of the orange from her quilt set off by the blue of the background drapery. Genius!

Click here to return to This is My Heart home page

1 comment:

Thalia said...

Her artwork is beautiful. That is so cool that you got to catch her with her work!