Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blogger's Block of the Month: A Quilting Life

I am pathological. When I have too much on my plate, what do I do? Ask for seconds. So in addition to catching up on the last few blocks of the month from the Flying Geese Quilters Guild, I've decided to do the Blogger's Block of the Month. The first block is from Sherri at A Quilting Life.


The Blogger's Blocks of the Month are all supposed to be 8 inches when finished. But the blocks for the Flying Geese Quilters Guild are 12 inches finished. So my plan is to increase all of the Blogger's Blocks of the Month to 12 inches finished. That way I can put the blocks from both sets together into one big, beautiful, long overdue, sampler quilt for my brother and sister-in-law.

This month's block is pretty easy to scale up to 12 inches. You'll need:
  • 8 - 3 1/2'' squares background fabric (where Sherri used the Kaffe grey, I used bright green Flea Market Fancy or Katie Jump Rope by Denyse Schmidt for FreeSpirit.),
  • 4 - 3 1/2'' squares of medium/dark prints (where Sherri used four different Kaffe prints, I used one black and dark blue-green print from Lizzy House's 1001 Peeps collection),
  • 2 - 4'' squares background fabric (again where Sherri used the Kaffe grey I used bright green Flea Market Fancy or Katie Jump Rope by Denyse Schmidt for FreeSpirit.), and
  • 2 - 4'' squares of another medium/dark print (where Sherri used two of the same Kaffe prints I used the red and white print from Flea Market Fancy or Katie Jump Rope by Denyse Schmidt for FreeSpirit.).
This block sews together super fast. For the four half-square triangles I used the old make two at the same time trick: drawing a line from one corner to the other, sewing a quarter inch on either side of the line, and cutting on the line. I use a slightly larger square to start with so I had a little wiggle room to square up my pieced patch. Also, since I used the same print for my dark squares, I strip pieced the four-patches. I'm so excited to add this block to my brother and sister-in-law's sampler!

Click here to return to This is My Heart home page

No comments: